Float Double Parameters

Eugene D. Brooks III brooks at lll-crg.ARpA
Tue Apr 15 04:56:36 AEST 1986

>  As far as I know (admittedly, not far) there is no longer any
>good reason for the current schizophrenia about single/double
>precision arithmetic, other than historical precedent.  Does
>anyone know any other good reasons, such as design faults in
>the VAX FPA?
The reason for keeping the conversion in is purely historical.
Its called those old dusty decks (sorry, files).  The way that
the proposed ANSI standard deals with the problem, introduce
function prototypes, seems like a reasonable way to provide
efficiency for those who need it while at the same time not
breaking old code.