structured assembler (BASIC) [Really: C builtin functions?]

KW Heuer kwh at bentley.UUCP
Sat Apr 12 01:02:36 AEST 1986

In article <584 at ihdev.UUCP> ihdev!pdg (P. D. Guthrie) writes:
>... but sizeof qualifies as a builtin function, even though it is a
>compile-time function vs run-time.  Anyone disagree?

Yes, I disagree.  The only thing "sizeof" has in common with a "function"
(in the C sense) is that it is often written with the argument enclosed
in parentheses.  (Not always; I've seen "sizeof foo" many times.)  It is
a function in the mathematical sense, with a domain of "datatype" (though
it can also take an expression, which is essentially cast into "datatype"),
but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

Karl W. Z. Heuer (ihnp4!bentley!kwh), The Walking Lint