C Builtin Funxions

rbj%icst-cmr at smoke.UUCP rbj%icst-cmr at smoke.UUCP
Fri Apr 18 10:11:16 AEST 1986

	In article <2564 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, rbj at icst-cmr.ARPA (root) writes:
	> Some of us know what we're doing. One sees lots of redefinitions of
	> things like `putc' in {VM,}UNIX code. It is often desirable to use
	> high level funxions (printf) while hacking up a lower level one.

	Of course, you realize redefining putc will have no effect on printf...

		Wayne

Silly me! I *axually* believed the UNIX documentation! I quote from
man 3 printf:

... Characters generated by printf are printed by putc(3S).

Well, that may have been once true, and the effect is mostly the same.
Okay, so I picked a bad example. Lets go one level up. I could
redefine printf to remove all that floating point stuff I
don't want or need, and maybe add a few formats of my own (You hear
a faint cry of anguish (about portability) in the background).

THEN, I am free to redefine putc, perhaps to print unprintable
chars as ^X for control X, etc. In fact I did this to `more'.

	Thanx for setting me straight

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at cmr>