C Builtin Funxions

Gregory Smith greg at utcsri.UUCP
Thu Apr 17 06:45:28 AEST 1986

In article <170 at cad.UUCP> faustus at cad.UUCP (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:
>In article <2564 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, rbj at icst-cmr.ARPA (root) writes:
>> Some of us know what we're doing. One sees lots of redefinitions of
>> things like `putc' in {VM,}UNIX code. It is often desirable to use
>> high level funxions (printf) while hacking up a lower level one.
>
>Of course, you realize that redefining putc will have no effect on printf...
>
>	Wayne
The above statement is non-portable, isn't it? If  the new standard
says that putc() has to be a macro, then I'm wrong but..
If (a) putc is a real function and (b) printf calls it, then printf
will be affected by a redefinition of putc. And (a) almost implies (b).

This weirdness seems to be a plus point for reserving any library functions
that may or may not be macros.

--
"If you aren't making any mistakes, you aren't doing anything".