Dereferencing NULL

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr
Tue Apr 8 05:21:31 AEST 1986

	Sometimes I think that every C language course should include a section
	on "The Use and Abuse of Null Pointers"... unfortunately, I have yet to
	see this mentioned in any such course's syllabus.

Hey, even *I* don't dereference NULL pointers! However I do think that
software should be tolerant when passed such items. I seem to remember
that `printf' would say `<null>' or something to that effect when invoked
as `printf("%s",0)' (Guy would say `printf("%s",(char *) 0)').

	> Karl W. Z. Heuer (ihnp4!bentley!kwh), The Walking Lint

	Given the quality of too many C programs (and programmers), that title
	sounds like a thankless task at best....
	--
		Guy Harris
		guy at sun.arpa	(yes, really)

Perhaps we should call you `The Talking Lint' :-)

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at cmr>