oops, corrupted memory again!

dan at prairie.UUCP dan at prairie.UUCP
Tue Apr 29 01:58:11 AEST 1986

-------------

>Now, if only somebody would invent an architecture where all objects,
>including dynamicly allocated objects, are isolated in memory, then any
>subscript error would cause an immediate memory fault.

   If I'm not mistaken, this was done on the iAPX432, using a capability-
based addressing scheme.  Dimmed the lights.  You could probably construct
such an environment on the 80286, but no one does, probably for efficiency
reasons.

   You're probably better off with a language that compiles checks into
the code, and an option to turn off those checks once you're confident
(?!) of the program.  With a capability-based architecture, you pay the
price all the time, whether you want to or not.

--
	Dan Frank
	    ... uwvax!geowhiz!netzer!prairie!dan
	    -or- dan at caseus.wisc.edu