Byte order (retitled)

David Elins ext. 220 yde at necis.UUCP
Wed Apr 9 08:50:30 AEST 1986

What is right.

Whether a lexicographic sort be the equal of a numeric,
or mayhaps the addresses of bytes within a word mimic their significance.

'Tis not ours to decide, we may only give our thanks that there be (so
far) only two ways of attaching significance to these beasties.

A good article on the "Byte Order" problem appeared in the April Fool's
day issue of Computer Language Magazine. The author (Mike Higgins) took
a very sensible stand on what is the "right" way to order bytes.

That issue of CL was much fun. The article on Un*x is particularly good;
it answered a lot of questions for me on why things are the way they are.