Sorting ANYTHING

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.UUCP
Tue Apr 22 12:31:52 AEST 1986

>If you're going to sort a small number of things, it doesn't really
>matter what you use. If you're sorting lots of stuff, use a system
>sort and save the maintainer the headache of reading *your* sort.
>
>	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at cmr>

Or, if your system doesn't have a sort (or a useable sort) go to the
library and find Quicker Sort in the ACM Collected Algorithms and copy
the Fortran and Publication Algol code and go re-do it in whatever
language you like, won't take long and it's short enough it requires
no deep understanding. I did this for a bunch of people in a Chem dept
who were using the VMS1.6 SORT command and saved them something like
98% of the time for sorting matrix elements (like from 30 minutes to
30 seconds or something like that) and became an instant hero...and I
stole the code! Use the terrain.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University