structured assembler (BASIC) [Really: C builtin functions?]

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Tue Apr 8 15:06:55 AEST 1986

In article <824 at ttrdc.UUCP> levy at ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>C has standard built-in functions????

Well, C has standard (library) functions.  C can also have built-in
functions to make it standard-conforming.  E.g., on machines which
do not have instructions to handle longs or floats or doubles or some
other standard feature of C (or switch...) the compiler is perfectly
justified in setting up code to call a "built-in" function to do this.
I know ... I had to write an early version of lmul/ldiv/lrem on the
PDP-11, and arrange for FP routines to be trapped to.  This is not to
be confused with _lmul(), _fdiv(), or anything like that.