structured assembler (BASIC) [Really: C builtin functions?]

Andrew Koenig ark at alice.UucP
Fri Apr 25 06:58:43 AEST 1986

> Any operator which maps its args into a unique value in its range
> defines an operation which is a function.  Just because you can
> say a + b doesn't mean that (plus a b) [resp., plus(a, b)] is not
> a function.  Similarly, sizeof(i), whether or not you use parens
> (and I always do) is an operator which, of course, is a function.

> Were you talking about details of implementation, perhaps?

The C definition of "function" is not the same as the mathematical
definition.  A C function is a part of a program.  A mathematical
function is a set of ordered pairs that meet certain conditions.

That said, note that sizeof(i) is syntactically a constant.  This
would not be true if sizeof were a function.