C builtin functions

roy at phri.UUCP roy at phri.UUCP
Wed Apr 23 12:43:49 AEST 1986

In article <729 at bentley.UUCP> kwh at bentley.UUCP (KW Heuer) writes:

> I might support the idea of additional operators [...] Binary "><" for
> min(), "<>" for max()?

	A bunch of years ago I ported the PWB (or was it v7?) C compiler to
a v6 system (turned out to be fairly trivial; bootstrapping long constants
was the only tricky part).  Much to my surprise, the lexical analyzer had
commented-out code to recognize "/\" for max and "\/" for min.  There were
even entries for these operators in the code tables.

	We never tested it out, but I think all we had to do was un-comment
a few things here and there and we would have had builtin min and max
operators in C.  I suppose it's a good thing we didn't -- talk about
non-portable code! :-)
--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016