Address of array

rbj%icst-cmr at smoke.UUCP rbj%icst-cmr at smoke.UUCP
Sat Apr 5 08:54:25 AEST 1986

	> Structure and array assignment, and comparison for equality, without buffer
	> copies is a good thing.

	You are aware, of course, that comparison for equality of structures,
	assuming it were added to the language, could not be implemented by a
	"string compare" instruction or code sequence?  Such a sequence would
	compare the padding bytes between structure members; there is no
	guarantee that those bytes are ever initialized, so two structures
	whose values are equal may not contain identical bit patterns.
	--
		Guy Harris
		guy at sun.arpa	(yes, really)

Fisrt, I disagree that struxure (or array) assignments are A Good Thing.
I much prefer the model of limiting primitive data types to values that
can be held in a register on an idealized machine. So much for the
`religious' part.

Secondly, struxures could be created with the padding bytes set to
all zero bits. Then, any garbage appearing in them could only be
creating by sloppy coding practices which even *I* abhor, even
considering my widely known nonportable tendencys.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at cmr>