is a void function invocation an expression or a statement?

Jack Jansen jack at mcvax.uucp
Mon Aug 11 07:29:26 AEST 1986

Something that has been bothering me since I read the C standard (well,
read.... paged through it), and came up again after this discussion
is the following: why haven't the C standardisers treated void like
in algol-68? There, void is a fullfledged type, having only one
value, also called void. This has a number of advantages: it makes
the standard simpler, it makes compilers simpler (no more special-casing
of void in variable definitions), and it would probably make life
easier for programs that produce C as output.

Are there any good reasons for not making void a normal type?
--
	Jack Jansen, jack at mcvax.UUCP
	The shell is my oyster.