Microsoft C 4.0 availability query

Dick Jackson dickj at tekgen.UUCP
Tue Aug 26 11:59:14 AEST 1986

I just got the v4.0 compiler and am VERY pleased with it.  The new full
screen debugger is always included and is very, very useful (saved me much time
already.)

I purchased my copy from 47th street computer (really 47th street photo) for
299.  I actually found it cheaper some place else (don't remember where
anymore) but for the extra $10, I feel much more comfortable about using 47th
with whom I've worked several times over the last 10 years without a single
hitch.  I requested UPS Blue (Second day air) and got the product in 1 week.

I'm quite please with the new compiler, although I never used 3.0 much.  The
documentation now takes three binders and appears to be definitely better than
v3.0.  Again, I'm quite impressed with codeview (the debugger).  I am working
on a program that uses several 'huge' arrays, and the debugger helped find
several fairly subtle errors in pointer coersion, which reminds of another great
help: prototype arguements in 4.0.

Anyway ... its quite a good product, and 47th did a good job of delivering.
Also, although I wasn't aware of this, if you buy the compiler and MASM (which
I ordered with v4.0), you can get a $25 rebate from Microsoft.  47th back
ordered MASM for an additional week and then sent it without me ever having to
contact them.

CodeView comes with a demo diskette which MS gives permission to duplicate
and post.  You might try to get a hold of it, its a nice demo.

Steven Parkes

tektronix!tekgen!dickj