void*

Mike Wexler mike at peregrine.UUCP
Tue Aug 19 03:53:38 AEST 1986

I agree that void* should not be automatically coerced to another pointer type.
I like the way the new operator is implemented in C++, but do not think it
would work as well in C.  In C++ operators can be redefined on a type by
type basis and it is convenient to have this operator called at certain
points.  In C, operators are not redefinable.  Therefor memory allocation
becomes a feature of the language and not a library function.  I do not think
this is a good idea.  One of the main advantages of C is that there is
a small kernal of the language that is all that is necessary to create a
compiler.  The rest of the features are implemented in a library written in
C and replaceable by users that don't have the source code to the compiler.
--
Mike Wexler
Email address:(trwrb|scgvaxd)!felix!peregrine!mike