generalized switch

mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Sat Aug 9 20:39:08 AEST 1986

[Discussion about switch versus if/elseif]
> As I understand it, a switch/case setup compiles exactly the same as
> 	if (var == const1) {.....};
> 	else if (var == const2) {.....};
> 	else  {default_action};
> anyway. (Or am i wrong?).

In a way.  They are the same in the sense that i=i+j and i+=j are the
same.  The switch expression is evaluated only once, which can be
important:

	switch (*bufp++)
--
					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse at uw-beaver.arpa

"Come with me a few minutes, mortal, and we shall talk."
			- Thanatos (Piers Anthony's Bearing an Hourglass)