fast code and no morals

preece at ccvaxa.UUCP preece at ccvaxa.UUCP
Thu Jan 30 02:59:00 AEST 1986

> "No morals" applies less to the lack of comments than to the author's
> failure to credit the idea to Tom Duff, invented it and who posted it
> to this newsgroup a year or so ago.  "Don't shade your eyes,
> plagiarize!" /* Written 11:42 pm  Jan 26, 1986 by dmr at dutoit.UUCP in
> ccvaxa:net.lang.c */
----------
The trick is simple enough to be re-discovered many times, cute
enough to be worth posting when discovered.  I see no reason
to assume the author knew of the previous posting.  Note the
slightly divergent treatment of the 0 case.  The Duff posting
was 20 months ago, which is a long time, in net terms.

There's nothing the matter with machine dependent code IF YOU
EXPLAIN IT AND MARK IT SO.  There is no such thing as a program
that runs too fast...

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana