ld - the link editor

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Sun Jan 12 02:36:09 AEST 1986

> My question is...why do you want to control the link process in that
> way.  For example, why would you want to change the entry point for a program,
> or other such subtle memory allocation features.  Are there any "easy to
> identify with" reasons, or is this a remnant from days gone by when Unix
> was an academic subject only.

For routine use as a timesharing user, you do not need such features.
(The 6th Edition UNIX "ld" was very simple.)  However, if you're
building code to be burned into ROMs, trying to link to support
routines at predetermined addresses (shared libraries or 5620 DMD
downloaded code, for example), or other such "unusual" activities,
the extra linker flexibility can be quite important.