C not LALR(1) & compiler bugs

Roy Mongiovi roy at gitpyr.UUCP
Fri Jan 31 15:08:42 AEST 1986

Now wait just a minute here.  I'm not sure you really mean "context sensitive".
Any language that has goto's or forces you to declare your variables is context
sensitive.  (A goto isn't legal if the corresponding label isn't defined, and
that assignment statement isn't valid if the variable isn't declared.)  In fact,
all that yucky type checking etc. that's done by the semantic routines is there
because useful languages really are context sensitive.  It seems to me that you
want a word that means "the grammar is ambiguous unless you consider context,"
but that's a bit more specific than context sensitivity....
--
Roy J. Mongiovi.	Office of Computing Services.		User Services.
Georgia Institute of Technology.	Atlanta GA  30332.	(404) 894-6163