ANSI C.

Peter da Silva peter at baylor.UUCP
Sun Jan 19 02:41:07 AEST 1986

> For example (not necessarily optimum), DST could be
> indicated by the presence of a specific system file.
> The implementation of gmtime() would test for this
> (the first time it is called within the process).

Boy. You're assuming a lot about a system. Let's say we're doing a IBM-PC
implementation. And we want the whole program to fit into a single file
because otherwise nobody's going to buy it. And we don't want people to
have to create weird files all over the place because then we get really
bad reviews. What are we supposed to do? Ask the user for the current time
zone every time we run? Create a random file called timezone? Boy, will
that help us sell the software. Gee, the user asks, why did I bother
buying this real-time-clock card.

Basically, X3J11 seems to assume, at a minimum, a minicomputer or supermicro
with a hard disk and a guru to create special files all over the place.

> I think the concept of DST is stupid, but so long as
> it has to be dealt with, some means must be provided.

I'm saying that on most small machines it doesn't have to be dealt with, and
has no place in a generally useful standard.
--
-- Peter da Silva
-- UUCP: ...!shell!{baylor,graffiti}!peter; MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076