fast code and no morals

Pete Zakel pete at valid.UUCP
Sat Jan 25 16:04:49 AEST 1986

> > Here's a version of calloc that breaks every rule of "structured"
> > programming ever invented -- and runs about twice as fast as a
> > vanilla version:
> >
> >     [fast code]
>
> So what?  This can be written "structured", and would be more
> maintainable if it were.  Surely this is not an example of
> recommended practice?

Sure is recommended if you are optimizing for speed, which is what I assume
is being done here.  Since calloc is part of the system, and is assumed to
not have to be changed, maintainability is not the question.  Speed is the
answer.

"What do you get when you multiply 6 by 9?"
-Pete Zakel (..!{hplabs,amd,pyramid,ihnp4}!pesnta!valid!pete)