need recommendation on IBM PC version of \"make\"

Don Kneller%Langridge kneller at ucsfcgl.UUCP
Tue Jan 21 11:35:29 AEST 1986

The pitch:
I've written a MAKE program for MSDOS.  It is a *complete*
implementation of UN*X make including the same syntax, flags, default
rules, and runtime macros $?, $*, $@, $*.  The only thing not yet
supported is VPATH.  My version of MAKE also supports "link" specially,
so commands like "link $(OBJ), test;" will work even if the expansion
of $(OBJ) causes the line to be too long for MSDOS.

The default rules come from an init file, so you can write whatever
rules you need without needing to recompile the sources.  In fact, if
you have a test.c file that you want to compile and link into test.exe,
you don't even need a makefile.  You can type "make test.exe" and MAKE
will use its default rules to compile and link test.c.  Thus, you can
use MAKE as a general compile and link program, and forget about using
batch files.

The catch:
I will distribute only the *binary* as user-supported software.  There
will be a registration form enclosed.  The usual support, bugfixes,
and update notification come with registration.

If you're still interested:
Send me Email with your Email address and I will send you a uuencoded
ARC file.  Alternatively, if there is sufficient interest, and if there
are no strong objections, I will post the ARC file to net.micro.

--
	Don Kneller
UUCP:	...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!kneller