Header file strings.h

Tad Marko tad at killer.UUCP
Mon Jun 23 10:11:49 AEST 1986

In article <1434 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, drears at ardec.arpa (FSAC) writes:
> Paul Schauble writes:
>
>>I am trying to port a program from Unix to MS-DOS.  It makes use of a
>>header file <strings.h>.  This is not supplied with Microsoft C.  Could
>>someone please enlighten me as to what this contains?
>
>    <strings.h>  contains the data types for the string
> operations - strcat, strncat, strtok, strcpy, etc.  I have used the
> strings functions many times without using this header file.  If
> you are checking the return codes of the functions explicitly define
> the functions.  Example:
>
> char *strcat(), *strcmp();
> int strlen;
>
>    I believe Microsoft C libraries contains the string functions. In
> that case just explicitly define the functions. If they don't  you might
> have to write the string functions yourself.

I use the functions quite often, but the header file for MSC is string.h.
I recently ported a program from MSC to an NBI 4044 running 4.2BSD, and the
only change necessary was to change

#include <string.h>

#include <strings.h>

everything worked fine after that.  Perhaps this and several other MSC
differences are the result of it complying to the new ANSI C standard?