Type checking for typedef's (new feature)

John P. Nelson jpn at teddy.UUCP
Fri Jun 6 09:10:46 AEST 1986

>> What I would like is for typedef names to be considered by the compiler as
>> DIFFERENT from the underlying types....
>
>Not unreasonable.  Not too hard to implement.  Not C, either.  Too many
>existing programs would break.

I think what is needed is for LINT to treat such typedef names as true
distinct types.  Having the COMPILER treat them as different is probably
not very useful.  Perhaps this should be an OPTION to lint, so that old
programs don't lose completely. This would make lint a much more valuable
tool, and would make information hiding easier in C programs.