Datalight faster than 4.2, why?

aglew at ccvaxa.UUCP aglew at ccvaxa.UUCP
Sat Jun 7 01:52:00 AEST 1986

... > sizeof and /lib/cpp

(1) I apologize to the net. The latest ANSI C draft explicitly does not
allow sizeof in #if conditionals. I believe that earlier versions did, or
were vague enough to let me think so.

(2) I am mildly annoyed by people who say "/lib/cpp does not recognize
sizeof, /lib/ccom does". People who talk in the present tense show a limited
imagination. Ditto people who talk in a limited geographic or
market-oriented tense. The C preprocessor is not always /lib/cpp, nor is the
first step of the compiler /lib/ccom; there are many C systems out there where
they have different names, or are merged. There are even systems where
sizeof is recognized in #ifs.

Enough. Sorry to, perhaps, have misled anybody about sizeof in ANSI C.
Sorry, also, to be disappointed by this being missing.