op= construction

Davidsen davidsen at steinmetz.UUCP
Wed Jun 18 02:35:58 AEST 1986

In article <108 at mruxe.UUCP> cgw at mruxe.UUCP (C Waldman) writes:
>	Quick question-
>	total[i++] += f;
>
>	After a couple of "Memory fault- core dumped" messages, I realized
>	that i is getting incremented twice. I broke it into two lines and
>	everything was ok, but I'm wondering why this construction doesn't
>	work.

I tried it on a VAX, a Sun, and XENIX, looking at the code with the -S
option. They all work as desired. Therefore I believe that either your
program has another problem or (most likely) your compiler is broken.
Please let me know (or post) what you find, and which compiler/machine
you are using.
--
	-bill davidsen

  ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
                                       \
                    unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
                          chinet ------/
         sixhub ---------------------/        (davidsen at ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"