Datalight faster than 4.2, why?

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Tue Jun 10 16:28:31 AEST 1986

> Modularity in software design does not imply a separate program for each
> module.

Neither did my posting.  Read it again.  It says "there will have to be some
way of running *just the preprocessor part of the lexical analyzer* and
getting compilable C output from it."  The posting was meant as a warning to
people who plan to build their #define-and-#include-handler (if it doesn't
pre-process the source, it can't really be called a preprocessor) in such a
way that you *can't* get the "preprocessed" source out of it.

Furthermore, I'm not convinced that "any C compiler with an integral cpp
will have a function 'inchar'...".  Somebody may design a C compiler which
*isn't* quite so modular.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)