weird C-compiler error message

Tanner Andrews tanner at ki4pv.UUCP
Fri Jun 13 01:41:56 AEST 1986

)  guy at sun.UUCP writes
) ... if your users are aware that "compiler error" really means "bring this
) message, along with the source code, to your local support person", ...

I must take some exception to this.  Your local support person is too busy to
tell 50 people that "compiler error: gork blunge snarf" means "formal not
declared on argument list".

For shame!  If (when the time comes to decide where in the argument list you
found the item to be bound) you can't find it in the argument list, you should
make a good effort to emit a useful error.  Failing that, publish a list of
compiler errors as part of the error list so we know that "gork blunge snarf"
means "one of your formal declarations was not on arg list".

--
<std dsclm, copies upon request>	   Tanner Andrews