weird C-compiler error message

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Tue Jun 10 16:41:47 AEST 1986

> Whether the message
>
> 	"foo.c", line 27: compiler error: bad arg temp
>
> would be any less confusing is uncertain.

Well, if your users are aware that "compiler error" really means "bring this
message, along with the source code, to your local support person", I think
it is certain that it is less confusing.  Unless a user knows the innards of
the program they're using, they should treat messages of that sort
("compiler error: <blahblahblah>", "panic: <blahblahblah>", etc.) as strings
not to be interpreted, but to be carted to somebody who *does* know the
innards of that program; in that case, there's nothing to be confused about.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)