Indentation and braces

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Tue Jun 10 16:36:35 AEST 1986

> In article <-18363551 at sneaky> gordon at sneaky writes:
> 		^^^^^ ????

It's a "notesfiles" site, presumably; they don't use the ordinal number
of the article to generate the article ID.  They don't have to, either; the
article ID merely has to be unique.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that UN*X tabs
> are at columns 1,9,17,25 etc and that this is not recommended, but in
> fact *required* to get anywhere (e.g. ls emits tabs ).

Sort of, but not really.  There's a hack which dates back to PWB/UNIX, and
is still around in System V, where you can stick a "tab specification" into
a file indicating where the tab stops should be for that file.  I think the
S5 "ed" will do its own tab expansion on output if it's editing such a file,
and there are programs to do the tab expansion on files like that for
printing.  The S5 "tabs" command can take a "tab specification" and set the
hardware tabs according to that specification, or can read a file and set
the tabs for the tab specification in that file.  I don't think the "vi"
supplied with S5 knows about them, however.  Given what PWB/UNIX was
originally intended for, it should be obvious why this "tab specification"
stuff was stuck into PWB/UNIX.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)