what should be added to C

Ben Cranston zben at umd5.UUCP
Sat Jun 7 08:40:56 AEST 1986

In article <8200005 at ztivax.UUCP> david at ztivax.UUCP writes:
>PLEASE don't make := the assignment operator!!!!!
>[shift][:] [=]  is a pain, slow, it hurts my fingers :-) and
>it is error prone if you type fast.
>The assignment operator is easily the most common, and so it
>should be one character, unshifted.

Clearly "=" should remain the assignment operator.  We should replace all
testing with the extended syntax:

   switch (a:b) {
   case <: isgreater; break;
   case =: isequal; break;
   case >: isless; break;
   default: yell("this cannot happen!\n");
   }

I would have used (a?b) but it was already taken...  :-)
--
"We're taught to cherish what we have   |          Ben Cranston
 by what we have no longer..."          |          zben at umd2.umd.edu
                          ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben