What should be added to C, call it PL/2

Rex Ballard rb at ccird1.UUCP
Sat Jun 7 08:17:24 AEST 1986

In article <1628 at ecsvax.UUCP> dgary at ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
>In article <36 at mit-prep.ARPA> x at mit-prep.ARPA (Dean Elsner) writes:
>>Sorry, I don't think you can call it PL/2!
>>IBM was going to call PL/1 "NPL" (New Programming Language?) until
>>National Physical Laboratories told them not to. They then registered
>>names PL/1 ... PL/100 (!). I don't think they reserved PL/0.
>>I don't know what 'registered' means here, but I presume trademarked.
>>This is from memory, and may be wrong.
>>x at prep.ai.mit.edu (Dean Elsner)   Disclaimer: I am not me. Much. Often.
>
>Sounds like an Urban Legend to me.  In the US it is not possible to
>register a trademark until it has actually been used in trade.  Hence
>stories of tobacco companies registering names like Acapulco Gold
>against the possibility of legalized marijuana are, sadly, bogus.

Not quite.  You don't actually have to sell a product using that
name, just announce your intent to sell a product under that mark.

When CCI wanted to trademark their "Power 5/20" series processors,
they also announced to a few selected costomers products including
Power 5/1-99 6/1-99 and 7/1-99.  Needless to say, some of these
products were in "very early stages of developement" :-).

Since these customers were inter-state and international, we were
pretty well covered.

Usual Disclaimers:  I speak for myself, not the company.