C vs. FORTRAN (was: What should be

Peter S. Shenkin peters at cubsvax.UUCP
Thu Jun 12 02:41:41 AEST 1986

In article <uiucdcsb.139200030> liberte at uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>This discussion reminds me of when I had to write a program (in FORTRAN)
>to manipulate an array with a dynamically specified number of DIMENSIONS,
>as well as dynamically specified size of each dimension.  Only APL would
>have helped (that I know of).

My initial thought was: of course you can do this in C, using a linear
array and explicit pointer arithmetic, rather than array notation;  on
the other hand you can do this just as easily in FORTRAN, using a linear
array and the identical arithmetic (modulo array origin!) on the *index*
into the array....

Peter S. Shenkin	 Columbia Univ. Biology Dept., NY, NY  10027
{philabs,rna}!cubsvax!peters		cubsvax!peters at columbia.ARPA