What should be added to C

Daniel R. Levy levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Tue Jun 10 12:17:36 AEST 1986

In article <532 at cad.BERKELEY.EDU>, faustus at cad.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:
>In article <1550 at mmintl.UUCP>, franka at mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
>> >The thing about F77 (and FIV vs FII) is that most of the features in
>> >the F77 standard had already been implemented - or at least something
>> >similar to them - in most compilers already.
>> This is not true.  The biggest change was the IF (...) THEN ... ENDIF
>> construct.  I don't know of *any* compiler which supported this before the
>> standard came out; certainly it was not common.
>You mean that before 1977 there was no if statement in fortran?  Sounds like
>a fun language to work with... :-)
>	Wayne

Read the posting more carefully.  Fortran generally did not support

IF (logical_expression) THEN
statements
[ELSE IF (logical_expression) THEN
more statements
ELSE
yet more statements]
END IF

before the advent of Fortran-77.  It sure as heck DID support

IF (logical_expression) statement

(where "statement" was exceedingly likely to be a GOTO (-: )
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
						vax135}!ttrdc!levy