Precedent for use of =

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.cbm.UUCP
Sun Jun 22 04:35:57 AEST 1986

In article <5166 at ut-sally.UUCP> nather at ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:

>Early Algol used a left-pointing arrow as the assignment operator, but that
>was not included in the ASCII character set; that decision may be one of
>the costliest technical blunders of our time.
>
>Ed Nather Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

The Burroughs B5500 algol compilers accepted back-arrow as an assignment
operator and it was beautiful!

Earlier versions of ASCII included the back-arrow and up-arrow as graphics,
but they were replaced by the underline (very useful) and circumflex (less).
I really didn't like this change, but then imagine trying to explain to a
naive user that the two up-arrow keys on his tube do different things!  Almost
as bad as IBM keyboards...
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at seismo.css.GOV