What ever happened to %r in printf ?

guy at sun.UUCP guy at sun.UUCP
Fri Jun 20 04:49:39 AEST 1986

> I think that %r in printf was used to format a string in radix50.

Nope.  No version of UNIX released by AT&T has any support for RADIX50
whatsoever.  The "r" stood for "remote", not "RADIX50"; "%r" told "printf"
that the next argument was a pointer to a "printf"-style argument list, and
that it should use that list instead of the one it was passed.  This is very
tricky to do portably, and impossible to do on some implementations, so it
was nuked in V7.

> This format was maybe used on V6 UNIX to talk to RT11 file system,

Nope.  No version of UNIX released by AT&T knows anything about RT11, except
for VAX versions which have to deal with VAX-11/780 console floppies.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)