enums, pcc & all that

Jerry Schwarz jss at ulysses.UUCP
Wed Jun 18 01:39:17 AEST 1986

> Unfortunatly those that be decided to do a STUPID, DUMB and
> and CRETINOUS implementation of enums as integers (from those that
> bring you unary+ ...)

Please, can't these discussions be carried out in a civil tone.

Jerry Schwarz
Bell Labs, MH

P.S.
The earliest compilers with enums at Bell Labs (around six or seven
years ago) did treat each enum tag as a separate type. This seemed
the natural and correct thing to do.  People who began to use them
complained about having to cast them to ints in many legitimate cases
such as subsripts and comparisons.  I personally remember being
enthusiastic about them but giving them up and returning to #defines
because of this.  Enums are not a new feature in C (around here) and
there is a large body of experience that favors the "enum as integral"
definition.