C++ vs. Objective-C

keith gorlen keith at cecil.UUCP
Thu Mar 20 01:47:05 AEST 1986

>>Has anyone evaluated -- or actually USED -- both C++ and Objective-C
>>from standpoints of ease of programming, clarity of code, and speed
>>of execution?  Which wins?

I have evaluated Objective-C by attending one of their technical
seminars, and I have purchased and studied the Objective-C Reference
Manual, but I have not actually USED Objective-C.  I have used C++
extensively, however.  In my opinion, C++ POTENTIALLY wins by a mile on
all counts.  I say potentially because Objective-C includes a
Smalltalk-80 -like class library in addition to a pre-processor.  C++
provides only the tools for implementing a similar library, which I know
from personal experience to be non-trivial.  In a comparison between
apples and apples, i.e., Objective-C vs. C++ and my Object-Oriented
Program Support (OOPS) class library, the latter wins on ease of
programming and clarity of code, and should also win on speed because of
C++ inline functions and more efficient virtual function calls.

The OOPS class library is in the public domain, but I have a considerable
amount of work left to do on the documentation before it will be in
useable form.

>What is "Objective-C"?  Pointer to book, reference manual, or article,
>please.  I am presently reading the C++ book and it would be an ideal
>time for me to make at least vicarious comparisons.

I don't have their materials handy, but the information you would like
can be obtained from Productivity Products, Inc., Sandy Hook CT.  I
would also recommend their seminars.
--
---
	Keith Gorlen