Address of array

jsdy at hadron.UUCP jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Mon Mar 31 11:20:28 AEST 1986

In article <807 at ttrdc.UUCP> levy at ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>In article <150 at sdchema.sdchem.UUCP>, tps at sdchem.UUCP (Tom Stockfisch) writes:
>>[]
>>Joe Yao replies
>>>array:  that is a Pasqualische or Fortranian notion.
>
>'Scuse me, can somebody educate me as to why that would be a "Fortranian"
Dan,

I've already recanted that whole posting.  It was written after
midnight or something [;-}].  What I think I meant was that Fortran,
like Pascal, allows you to declare an object to be of a certain
size; and the functions that operate on it know what that size was.
Compare this to C, where you have to explicitly declare what the
object you're pointing to is, before knowing its size.  Then you can
declare a pointer to the first of a sequence of arrays of a given
size.

Fortran doesn't even have pointers anyway.	(*sigh*)
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}