Long Longs

Laura Creighton laura at hoptoad.uucp
Mon Mar 10 14:55:05 AEST 1986

In article <7000005 at convexs> hosking at convexs.UUCP writes:
>We ran into exactly this sort of problem with the Convex C-1.  It has 64 bit
>registers, but we didn't want to make "long" be 64 bits, for a number of
>reasons, including "portability" with existing code which assumed that
>sizeof(long) == sizeof(int) (Argh!!), and performance impact on typical
>applications.
>/* Danger, Will Robinson!  Flames from hoptoad!laura approaching! */
>We therefore support "short" "int" "long" and "long long" - where
>sizeof(long long) == 64 bits.

Nope -- the flame from hoptoad!laura comes right after yours --
beside the (Arghh!!).  I think that you did the right thing, given
your constraints.  It is the fact that one of your constraints was
``we can hire someone for a year to take the (sizeof int == sizeof long)s
out of 4.2, and delay shipping for a year, or we can work around it.''

--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura  utzoo!hoptoad!laura  sun!hoptoad!laura
toad at lll-crg.arpa