weird C behavior

jsdy at hadron.UUCP jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Mon Mar 31 11:41:49 AEST 1986

In article <5190 at alice.uUCp> ark at alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>> Passed arguments should always be passed as an "int", I do believe.
>Absolutely not!

Folks, I'm not going to spend the rest of my life apologising for
those two stupid articles I wrote last week.  I hope.  Let's accept
that my brain was tied up with something else and get on with it.

What I  m e a n t  to say above was "Passed integer constants ... ".
As we all know, we can force a constant to be anything at all.  What
caught me was the surprise promotion of a constant to a long, with
no request from the user, if the constant is > the larget integer.
This, though a valid part of the language for years, I think is a
problem.  Then again, writing code that uses that kind of a constant
may be seen to be a problem also.  I have spent some effort in diverse
programs avoiding this.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}