void * (was Re: malloc())

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sat May 24 03:42:21 AEST 1986

> > Also, it's a misnomer; it has nothing to do with "void".
>
> I presume the reason why "void *" was chosen is, as stated above, that a
> pointer of type "void *" would, when dereferenced, yield an object of type
> "void", and as such dereferencing a "void *" would be illegal...

I believe a contributing reason was the desire to avoid introducing new
keywords.  (Yes, I know, X3J11 has managed to introduce a few; it remains
true that there is a preference for avoiding it.)  Every new keyword is
bound to break some existing programs.
--
Join STRAW: the Society To	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
Revile Ada Wholeheartedly	{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry