What's wrong with printf( ) , return ?

Larry Cipriani lvc at danews.UUCP
Mon May 19 22:20:17 AEST 1986

> > Oops.  I mistakenly believed exit and return were both reserved words
> > in C but only return is.  There may be compilers that won't accept it
> > but they would be wrong.
> >
> >	printf("usage: foo bar\n") , return 1 ;
> >
> > seems reasonably "within C's style".  Comments ?

> return isn't an expression.  You can't write

> 	printf("usage: foo bar\n") , if (!fflag) exit(1);

> either.

I knew that return wasn't an expression.  The fact that you can
do `control flow' with , seperating expressions makes me wonder
why this wasn't extended to include 'some' statements such as return.

Thanks,

--

Larry Cipriani		AT&T Network Systems
cbsck!lvc	Mail responses to ihnp4!cbsck!lvc please - thanks