C Builtin Funxions

Frank Adams franka at mmintl.UUCP
Sat May 3 22:01:06 AEST 1986

In article <1700010 at umn-cs.UUCP> herndon at umn-cs.UUCP writes:
>  On the flip side, the language may not be as efficient.
>If the compiler writers want to allow these procedures to
>be built-in to allow in-line procedures, I think this should
>be an option (DEFAULT=OFF), and then the capabilities of
>the language will be compromised as little as possible.

I agree that if one is going to consider certain functions as built-in,
there should be an option to make them external calls, instead.  I
don't agree that the default should be to make them external.  Most
users are interested in the efficiency; the additional effort, however
much it is, should be put on the smaller group.