malloc()

Jonathan P. Leech jon at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu
Wed May 14 19:00:45 AEST 1986

In article <815 at bentley.UUCP> kwh at bentley.UUCP (KW Heuer) writes:

>This is what I started to mention once before, and picked up a lot of "no,
>you don't understand how it works" messages (sigh).  I saw the need for a
>"ALIGN *" datatype, and was hoping "void *" would be it.  (Nope, just a
>useless synonym for "char *").  The idea would be that, just as it's always
>legal to cast any pointer into a "char *", it would be legal to cast *from*
>"ALIGN *" to any pointer.  Then lint would shut up about malloc()!

    I don't think 'void *' is useless. What do you  do	on  a  machine
where it's NOT 'always legal to cast any pointer into a "char *"'?   I
find 'void *' most wonderful and useful in C++.
--
    Jon Leech (jon at csvax.caltech.edu || ...seismo!cit-vax!jon)
    Caltech Computer Science Graphics Group