C vs. FORTRAN (was: What should be added to C)

D Gary Grady dgary at ecsvax.UUCP
Thu May 29 01:39:27 AEST 1986

In my last two postings I used the term "in-line" with respect to
FORTRAN functions and it occurs to me a quick explanation might be in
order.  An "in-line function" is one that a compiler expands into
in-line machine language as opposed to a procedure call.  Where speed
is of the essence (as it often is in FORTRAN programs), this can make a
significant difference on some machines.  FORTRAN programmers have to
worry about a given function being "in-line" or "out-of-line" if they
want to create one of the same name.  Thus in-line function names
effectively constitute the only "reserved words" in FORTRAN.

In addition to the in-line functions, FORTRAN has many other "built-in"
functions, that is, those that are a defined part of the language.
This means that these scientific function names are identical over all
implementations of the language, a very important consideration in
writing huge programs that will be used at many sites on different
equipment.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706