C vs. FORTRAN (was: What should be added to C)

Peter S. Shenkin peters at cubsvax.UUCP
Thu May 29 01:46:28 AEST 1986

In article <bentley.853> kwh at bentley.UUCP (KW Heuer) writes:

>Another advantage of FORTRAN is implicit DO loops in I/O statements, and the
>related ability to use (constant, at least) repeat counts in FORMATs.  I had
>a program that made this painfully clear when it was translated from FORTRAN
>to C.

I agree;  on the other hand, what C has over FORTRAN in this regard is the
ability to keep writing on the same line in subsequent calls to printf();
that is, to *not* insert a newline after WRITEing.

Peter S. Shenkin	 Columbia Univ. Biology Dept., NY, NY  10027
{philabs,rna}!cubsvax!peters		cubsvax!peters at columbia.ARPA