C Builtin Funxions

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr
Fri May 9 03:22:32 AEST 1986

	In article <1700010 at umn-cs.UUCP> herndon at umn-cs.UUCP writes:

	>  I feel compelled to go on record as being VERY MUCH AGAINST
	>having reserved procedure names in C.  For those of us who have
	>ever written stand-alone code for PDP-11s, VAXen, ..., it is
	>a simple matter, as things stand, to compile our programs,
	>and then have them linked with our own versions of 'putc',
	>'read', etc. stashed in stand-alone libraries.
	>In addition, porting the C compiler to a different OS on the
	>same machine only requires that the libraries be re-written
	>(almost always).  Building those functions into the language
	>implies that there will be much code for special casing those
	>functions.

	Nowhere is it required that the compiler have any special knowledge of
	the reserved names in the library.  Yes, *some* compilers will
	undoubtedly have *some* special knowledge of *some* of those names,
	but the ANSI spec does *NOT* *require* the compiler to know anything
	about any reserved library names.

	Please, do NOT flame about statements that are not made in the spec.
	There are enough statements that ARE made in the spec that may be worth
	flaming about (although I hope that rational discusssion, rather than
	flames, result).

He didn't say it would be *required*. Neither did I. We don't want it
even allowed, unless we can turn it off. I would even go one step
further and require that you explicitly turn it on for each function.

	If you don't have a copy of the current state of the
	proposed standard, GET ONE!

Yeah, fork over another $20 for an out-of-date copy. Possibly the one you
already have. They should be free, posted to net.sources, and distributed
by the NIC or some such. See quote at end of article.

		Marty Shannon
	UUCP:	ihnp4!attunix!mjs
	Phone:	+1 (201) 522 6063

	Disclaimer: I speak for no one.

	"If I never loved, I never would have cried." -- Simon & Garfunkel

"Well I've paid all the dues I want to pay" -- S & G

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at cmr>
	"One man gathers what another man spills"