System V preprocessor problem with <generic.h>

KW Heuer kwh at bentley.UUCP
Thu May 1 05:50:41 AEST 1986

In article <3597 at sun.uucp> sun!guy (Guy Harris) writes:
>> 	#define name2(a,b)	a/**/b
>It has, however, two problems:
>
>	1) If you run your code through "lint", it won't work

I tried this example with "cpp -C" and it worked fine.  I'd guess that
cpp strips all comments in preprocessor directives reg Cdless of "-C".

>	2) It is not a guaranteed property of the C language, but a
>	   quirk of the implementation, so it will not work in
>	   general.

Agreed.  Any application that depends on being able to do this is treading
on thin ice.

Karl W. Z. Heuer (ihnp4!bentley!kwh), The Walking Lint