questions from using lint

peter at baylor.UUCP peter at baylor.UUCP
Sun May 11 05:51:15 AEST 1986

> One of the more traumatic things about being exposed to unix after working
> with numerous other systems was that the stupid c compiler refused to give me
> a nice clean listing with source, interspersed error messages, and optional
> object code.  I'm not dumb, but trying to learn a debug a big program though
> a 24-line window and my memory just doesn't make it...

On the other hand, I found VAX/VMS 'C' a real pain after UNIX because it
put all the error messages in this huge ugly listing instead of a brief
list so I could find them. Of course the stupid bloody editor that didn't
have a shell escape or any sort of facility for editing multiple files
didn't help. Just because you're used to a compiler-generated listing
doesn't mean it's the only way to go. Of course, a list of errors may not
be either... though a utility like "error" (which puts the error messages
into the original source as comments: something not feasible with the
huge listing method) can really addict you to UNIX *fast*.
--
-- Peter da Silva
-- UUCP: ...!shell!{baylor,graffiti}!peter; MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076